Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Illegal Immigration in San Diego


Here in San Diego we see a lot of illegal immigration (euphemistically referred to as "undocumented workers" locally). I will be the first to say that the Mexican people whom I have met are extremely hard-working, courteous, and kind people. The effects of illegal immigration (and I stress the word illegal) are well known. California is currently struggling within itself as to what do do with a lot of the economic ramifications tied very closely to the issue.

So it occurred to me, most people who live elsewhere never see the kind of signage we have here. The above image is taken from the I-5 freeway heading south toward Tijuana, just prior to crossing the US/Mexico border. The first time I saw it I was stunned. A warning sign to drivers about families fleeing unexpectededly across the highway? Yep. No joke.

No comments: